Gura Humorului

Versiunea în limba engleză (English version)

Date generale

Oraşul Gura Humorului se află în extremitatea de Nord-Nord Est a României, în provincia istorică Bucovina, în partea central-sudică a judeţului Suceava, în mica depresiune cu acelaşi nume, la poalele de Sud Est  ale Obcinei Mari, la 490 m altitudine, în zona de confluenţă a pârâului Humor cu râul Moldova, la intersecţia paralelei de 47°33’14” latitudine nordică cu meridianul de 25°53’21” longitudine estică, la 35 km Sud Vest de municipiul Suceava. Din punct de vedere demografic, Gura Humorului face parte din categoria oraşelor mici, cu o populaţie de 17 449 locuitori (la 1 ian. 2019), din care 8 460 loc. de sex masc. şi 8 989 fem. Dacã ne referim la datele statistice privitoare la componenţa etnicã a populaţiei oraşului, constatăm că la recensământul din decembrie 1930, din totalul de 6 042 locuitori, se înregistrau 2 425 de persoane de etnie germanã (40,1%), 1 951 evrei (32,3%), 1 357 români (22,5%), 161 poloni (2,7%), 61 ucraineni (1,0%) şi 87 loc. (1,4%) aprtineau altor etnii (slovaci, armeni ş.a.). Dupã 81 de ani, la recensământul populaţiei din 20-31 octombrie 2011, din totalul celor 13 667 loc., 12 324 de persoane (90,2%) erau români, 218 rromi (1,6%), 54 germani (0,4%), 34 poloni (0,2%) şi 1 037 loc. (7,6%) aparţineau altor etnii (ucraineni, ruşi-lipoveni, maghiari ş.a.). Din punct de vedere confesional, la acelaşi recensământ, din 20-31 oct. 2011, s-au înregistrat 11 864 ortodocşi (86,8%), 346 romano-catolici (2,5%), 276 penticostali (2,0%) şi 1 181 loc. (8,7%) aparţineau altor confesiuni (adventişti de ziua a şaptea, creştini de rit vechi, Martorii lui Iehova, creştini după evanghelie, baptişti, greco-catolici, evanghelişti, reformaţi ş.a), erau atei, fără religie sau cu religie nedeclarată. Oraşul Gura Hunorului dispune de o staţie de cale ferată, inauguratã în 1888, şi de un helioport. Principalele produse realizate de agenţii economici din Gura Humorului sunt; fire de bumbac, mobilã, articole tehnice din cauciuc, articole de îmbrăcăminte, mături şi perii, produse alimentare ş.a. În oraş există Muzeul obiceiurilor populare din Bucovina, înfiinţat în 1958 de profesorul Constantin Scorţaru, ca muzeu de etnografie, reamenajat şi inaugurat oficial la 14 nov. 2004, cu peste 6 500 de exponate, grupate pe mai multe săli (sala de etongrafie, cu peste 3 200 de obiecte, sala de artă plastică bucovineană contemporană, înfiinţată pe baza unei colecţii de 326 de lucrări donate de pictorul român George Cotos din Franţa şi inaugurată la 1 mai 2000, sala de lucrări de artă grafică satirică în care sunt expuse peste 3 000 de lucrări etc.), Biblioteca orăşenească, înfiinţată în 1950, azi cu peste 42 200 de volume, Casa de Cultură, situată în fosta clădire a Sinagogii evreieşti, cumpărată de Primãria oraşului în anul 1968, Parcul dendrologic “Ariniş” , extins pe 25 ha, cu 267 de specii de arbori şi arbuşti, Complexul sportiv, cu piscină acoperită, de dimensiuni olimpice, inauguratã la 1 mai 2000, un bazin de înot pentru copii şi un patinoar artificial. În apropiere de oraş există o pârtie de schi cu o lungime de 1 478 m şi o diferenţă de nivel de 285 m, dotată cu telescaun (1 332 m lungime), instalaţie de iluminat pe timp de noapte şi cu instalaţie de produs zăpadă artificială, dată în folosinţă în anul 2010. La Gura Humorului are loc anual (din anul 1994), în luna iulie, Festivalul internaţional de caricatură şi literaturã umoristicã. La 1 martie 2005, oraşul Gura Humorului a fost declarat staţiune turistică de interes naţional.

Istoric

Localitatea apare menţionată documentar, pentru prima oară, la 26 februarie 1490 într-un act emis de cancelaria domnească a lui Ştefan cel Mare. O dată cu ocuparea Bucovinei de cãtre Imperiul Habsburgic, în 1775, aşezarea a rămas sub stăpânire austriacă pânã în 1918. La 10 septembrie 1782, Comandamentul militar austriac, instalat iniţial în satul Vama, a fost mutat la Gura Humorului, unde a construit o fortăreaţă, iar la 10 oct. 1782 s-a stabilit sediul trupelor de graniţã. După anul 1800, la Gura Humorului s-au stabilit mai multe familii de germani, poloni, evrei, armeni, ucraineni ş.a. care, în 1835, au creat o colonie de sine stãtãtoare cu numele Bori (frecvent menţionată şi cu toponimul Boureni). În anul 1835, localitatea a fost legată telegrafic cu Viena, în 1880, satul Bori a fost ridicat la rang de târg, în 1893 a devenit reşedinţa unui district, iar în anul 1904 a fost declarat oraş. La 11 mai 1899, târgul Gura Humorului a fost mistuit, în mare parte (peste 400 de case) de un incendiu provocat de o gospodină, care nu a supravegheat focul pe care-l făcuse în curtea casei pentru producerea săpunului. În prezent Gura Humorului are în subordine administrativă localitatea componentă Voroneţ.

Monumente

Biserica ortodoxă cu hramul “Sfinţii Împăraţi Constantin şi Elena” a fost construită în perioada 1862-1867 de către comunitatea armeană de atunci. Distrusă în mare parte în timpul celui de-al Doilea Război Mondial, biserica a fost reconstruită ulterior cu contribuţia bănească a credincioşilor ortodocşi şi sfinţită la 1 iulie 1973. Biserica a fost repictată la interior în anii 1995-1996 de Nicolae Gavrilean şi resfinţită la 19 mai 1996; biserica ortodoxă “Sfinţii Arhangheli Mihail şi Gavriil”, zidită între 29 sept. 1876 şi 15 oct. 1885 (când a fost şi sfinţită); biserica romano-catolică “Preasfânta Treime”, de mari dimensiuni (33 m lungime, 10 m lăţime şi 30 m înălţime), a fost construită în anii 1806-1811, în apropierea capelei care data din anul 1775, pentru comunitatea romano-catolică înfiinţată la 1 apr. 1787 prin Decret imperial. Clădirea bisericii a fost reparată şi extinsă în anul 1895, dar afectatã de incendiul din 11 mai 1899 şi reparatã ulterior. Biserica posedă o orgă, construitã în Austria, în anul 1890, de firma Rieger Jägerndorf, cu 522 de tuburi, 54 de clape şi pedalier cu 27 de taste; Sinagogă construitã în anul 1871 de către omul de afaceri Wolf Kleinberg, refacută la începutul secolului 20 şi vândută Primăriei oraşului în anul 1968; clãdirea Primãriei (1901), declaratã monument istoric; clãdirea fostei Judecãtorii (1904), în prezent este sediul Muzeului etnografic, azi declaratã monument istoric; bustul preotului Simeon Cobilanschi, dezvelit în anul 1998, operă în bronz a sculptorului Alexandru Siminic, aflat în curtea bisericii “Sfinţii Arhangheli Mihail şi Gavriil”; bustul scriitoarei ucrainene Olga Kobyleanska, realizat în Ucraina şi dezvelit în anul 2003. În localitatea componentã Voroneţ se află celebra mănăstire Voroneţ (de maici) cu biserica “Sfântul Gheorghe”. În arealul oraşului Gura Humorului există Rezervaţia paleontologicã “Piatra Pinului” (1,40 ha), cu resturi de peşti fosilizaţi, scoici, corali ş.a. şi Rezervaţia naturală “Piatra Şoimului” (0,50 ha) cu numeroase stânci, aflată în interiorul pădurii, ambele declarate arii protejate în martie 2000.


About

The town of Gura Humorului is located in the extreme north-northeast of Romania, in the historical province of Bukovina, in the central-southern part of Suceava County, in the small homonymous depression, at the south-eastern foot of Obcina Mare Hill, at 490 m altitude, in the area of the confluence of the Humor brook with the Moldova river, at the intersection of the parallel of 47°33’14” north latitude with the meridian of 25°53’21” east longitude, 35 km South West of Suceava municipality. From a demographic point of view, Gura Humorului belongs to the category of small towns, with a population of 17,449 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2019), of which 8,460 males and 8,989 females. If we refer to the statistical data regarding the ethnic composition of the town’s population, we find that in the census from December 1930, out of a total of 6,042 inhabitants, there were 2,425 people of German ethnicity (40.1%), 1,951 Jews (32.3%), 1,357 Romanians (22.5%), 161 Poles (2, 7%), 61 Ukrainians (1.0%) while 87 inhabitants (1.4%) belonged to other ethnic groups (Slovaks, Armenians, etc.). After 81 years, at the population census of October 20-31, 2011, out of the total of 13,667 inhabitants, 12,324 people (90.2%) were Romanians, 218 Roma (1.6%), 54 Germans (0.4 %), 34 Poles (0.2%) and 1,037 inhabitants (7.6%) belonged to other ethnic groups (Ukrainians, Russians-Lipovans, Hungarians, etc.). From a confessional point of view, at the same census, from October 20-31, 2011, there were 11,864 Orthodox (86.8%), 346 Roman Catholics (2.5%), 276 Pentecostals (2.0%) and 1,181 inhabitants (8.7%) belonged to other denominations (Seventh-day Adventists, Old Rite Christians, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Gospel Christians, Baptists, Greek Catholics, Evangelicals, Reformed, etc.), or were atheists, without religion or with undeclared religion. The town of Gura Humorului has a railway station, inaugurated in 1888, and a heliport. The main items produced in Gura Humorului are: cotton yarn, furniture, technical rubber items, clothing, brooms and brushes, food products, etc. In the town there is the Museum of Bukovina’s Customs and Traditions, founded in 1958 by Professor Constantin Scorţaru, as an ethnographic museum, rearranged and officially inaugurated on November 14, 2004, with over 6,500 items in its collection, displayed in several rooms (ethnography room, with over 3,200 objects, the contemporary Bukovina art gallery, with a collection of 326 works donated by the Romanian painter George Cotos, established in France, inaugurated on May 1, 2000, the satirical graphical art gallery in which over 3,000 are exhibited. etc.), the City Library, established in 1950, today with over 42,200 volumes, the House of Culture, located in the former building of the Jewish Synagogue, bought by the City Hall in 1968, the “Ariniş” Dendrological Park, with a surface of 25 ha, with 267 species of trees and shrubs, a Sports complex, with an indoor Olympic swimming pool (inaugurated on May 1, 2000), a children’s swimming pool and an artificial ice rink. Near the town there is a ski slope with a length of 1,478 m and a slope of 285 m, equipped with a chairlift (1,332 m long), illuminated during the night and with snow cannons for producing artificial snow, inaugurated in 2010. At Gura Humorului takes place annually (since 1994), in July, the International Festival of caricature and humorous literature. On March 1, 2005, the town of Gura Humorului was declared a tourist resort of national interest.

History

The settlement is mentioned documentary, for the first time, on February 26, 1490, in an act issued by the royal chancellery of Stephen the Great. With the occupation of Bukovina by the Habsburg Empire in 1775, the settlement remained under Austrian rule until 1918. On September 10, 1782, the Austrian military command, originally installed in the village of Vama, was moved to Gura Humorului, where it built a fortress, and where, on October 10, 1782, the headquarters of the border troops were established. After 1800, several families of Germans, Poles, Jews, Armenians, Ukrainians, etc. settled in Gura Humorului, who, in 1835, created an independent colony called Bori (often referred to as Boureni). In 1835, the town was telegraphically connected with Vienna, in 1880, the village of Bori was elevated to the rank of a fair, in 1893 it became the residence of a district, and in 1904 it was declared a town. On May 11, 1899, the Gura Humorului fair was largely destroyed (over 400 houses) by a fire caused by a housewife, who did not supervise the fire she had made in the backyard, during in the process of manufacturing homemade soap. At present, Gura Humorului has under administrative administration the component locality Voroneţ.

Monuments

The Orthodox Church dedicated to the “Holy Emperors Constantine and Helen” was built between 1862 and 1867 by the then Armenian community. Destroyed largely during World War II, the church was later rebuilt with the financial contribution of Orthodox believers and consecrated on July 1, 1973. The interior of the church was repainted in 1995-1996 by Nicolae Gavrilean and the church was reconsecrated in 19 May 1996; the Orthodox Church of the “Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel”, built between September 29, 1876 and October 15, 1885 (when it was consecrated); the Roman Catholic church “Holy Trinity”, large (33 m long, 10 m wide and 30 m high), was built in 1806-1811, near the chapel dating from 1775, for the Roman Catholic community, established on April 1 1787 by Imperial Decree. The church building was repaired and expanded in 1895, but was affected by the fire of May 11, 1899 and later repaired. The church has an organ, built in Austria in 1890 by Rieger Jägerndorf, with 522 tubes, 54 keys and a 27-key pedal; Synagogue built in 1871 by businessman Wolf Kleinberg, rebuilt in the early 20th century and sold to the City Hall in 1968; the City Hall building (1901), declared a historical monument; the building of the former Court (1904), is currently the headquarters of the Ethnographic Museum, today declared a historical monument; the bust of the priest Simeon Cobilanschi, unveiled in 1998 (a bronze work of the sculptor Alexandru Siminic, located in the courtyard of the church “The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel”); the bust of the Ukrainian writer Olga Kobyleanska, made in Ukraine and unveiled in 2003. In the Voroneţ component locality there is the famous Voroneţ monastery (with nuns) with the “Saint George” church. In the area of ​​Gura Humorului there is the “Piatra Pinului” (The Pine Rock) paleontological reservation (1.40 ha), with fossilized fish remains, shells, corals, etc. and the “Piatra Şoimului” (The Hawk Stone) nature reserve (0.50 ha) with numerous rocks, located inside the forest, both declared protected areas in March 2000.

Back to Romanian version